5 Things Every Mom Must Do
- Go buy a set of head phones, dollar store will do. You can get a decent pair for $4.00. Atleast once a week put your headphones on and zone out everything around you. Enjoy some of your favourite music, listen to an audio book you’ve been wanting to read but haven’t had time, Listen to peaceful nature sounds and meditate. What you listen to isn’t important. What is important is taking some time to zone in on something you’re interested in. Not something your kids are interested in, not something your work wants you to do, not something you need to do, but something that you want to do.
- Pour yourself a glass of wine, cup of coffee, cup of tea, or any other preferred beverage and sit comfortably in a place of your choice (out on the deck on a summer day, in your favourite chair, snuggled up in front of the fireplace) UNTIL THAT BEVERAGE IS GONE. If you’re like me you have left a cup of coffee somewhere in the house, gotten distracted and heated it up in the microwave (more than once). Make an effort to make yourself important. As moms we are always quick to make our children’s needs more important than our own, but guess what… their need for your attention will still be there in 20 minutes when you’re done drinking your tea. Now, don’t get me wrong, sometimes it really is an emergency and they really do need you but 98% of the time whatever it is they need can wait for 20 minutes.
- Take a bath. Light some candles, put on some music, add some bubbles and relax (as much as you possibly can). You may need to lock the door for this one or you will most certainly end up with extra little bodies in there which will bring down the relax factor.
- Accept help when it is offered. I met a woman at one of my daughters extra-curriculars that came with her daughter every third week. Someone asked her one night if she worked the other 2 nights. Her response, `Don`t judge me. My mother in law offered to bring her. So, 2 nights a month I go home, run a bath, have a glass of wine and eat nachos for dinner.` – BRILLIANT. The reason more moms do not do this… 3 little words `DON’T JUDGE ME.` The fear of being judged often outweighs our need for `me time`.
- Buy yourself a gift. This will be dependent on what you like and doesn`t have to break the bank. For some of you it will be flowers, makeup, clothing, a book, but be sure to make it something you’ve wanted for a while and have been putting off. Buy yourself something because you deserve it.